UTRIP SUMMER INTERNSHIP 2020 IN TOKYO, JAPAN [FULLY FUNDED INTERNSHIP
Application Deadline: Jan 10, 2020
UTRIP stands for the “University of Tokyo Research Internship Program.” This program was launched by the Graduate School of Science (GSS) of the University of Tokyo (one of the world’s leading research-education universities) as part of its campaign begun in June 2010 for promoting the internationalization of the GSS by inviting talented young students from abroad. UTRIP is an intensive summer research program targeted at undergraduates who have a keen interest in pursuing an M.S. or Ph.D. degree in the future. During the program, the participants receive intensive instruction and guidance on conducting research from renowned faculty members belonging to the GSS’s five departments of physics, astronomy, chemistry, earth & planetary science, and biological sciences.
The program is open to students who are currently enrolled in the second or a later year at an accredited college or university outside of Japan, and who are majoring in a natural science or related field. The program also includes an excursion outside of Tokyo as well as a short course on the Japanese language and culture.
UTRIP is a gateway to pursuing an advance degree and experiencing academic life at UTokyo. Take this opportunity to get a head-start for challenging the rigors of graduate study in the natural sciences.
Eligibility & Requirements
Applicants for UTRIP must:
- Have completed at least one full year in a Bachelor’s degree program at the time of application.
- Be enrolled in and, after participating in UTRIP, be expected to return to, a Bachelor’s degree program (or a Bachelor’s-equivalent year of an integrated Bachelor’s-Master’s degree program) at a university outside of Japan. (At selection, the priority for nomination is given to applicants currently in their third year of a four-year Bachelor’s degree program and to applicants expected to be in their second year of a three-year Bachelor’s degree program. Students in other years are also encouraged to apply.)
- Be enrolled in a natural science or related field.
- Be thinking of pursuing long-term career goals in a scientific area.
- Be planning to commit to the entire six consecutive weeks of the UTRIP program, June 10 to July 21*, 2020, on a full-time basis.
- Be able to present coverage of a health insurance plan that is effective during the internship program before arriving in Japan.
- English proficiency: test scores of TOEFL or an equivalent English proficiency test (such as IELTS) are required if English is not your first language. Test scores that have already expired are accepted, as long as the applicant is still able to produce proof of the test scores upon request by the UTRIP office. Students who have received an English-medium education continuously for the past 8 years are exempted from submitting English proficiency test scores.
*Note: Due to logistical issues arising from the 2020 Summer Olympics being held in Tokyo, UTRIP2020 has this one program period only. Around 10 participants will be selected in 2020.
- To devote their full efforts to conducting the UTRIP project
- To participate in the project for the full six-week period
- To attend all academic and social events scheduled over the course of the UTRIP program
- To submit a written research final report approved by the UTRIP supervisor within one month of finishing the UTRIP program
- To give an oral presentation on the scheduled day
- To submit all necessary documents by the designated deadlines before, during, and after the program
Please apply here